I was scrambling to put something together for a potluck one day, and this was the result. It started out as this recipe, and I simplified it a bit (seeing as I hadn’t planned ahead enough to use dry beans). It was a hit, and I’m happy to have another recipe to help me use up my stash of pumpkin. 😉
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 15 oz cans black beans (including juice)
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Saute the pepper, onions, and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add to crock pot, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Rinse pumpkin, bean, and tomato paste cans and add water to crock. Stir well.
- Cook on high 2 hours or until heated through.
- Serve over basmati rice.
I expect that this could be made just as easily on the stove top, but it would need more attention than it does in the crock pot. Either way, it’s pretty quick and easy to throw together.