In my recent smoothie kick, I’ve stuck to a pretty basic formula of one banana (fresh or frozen), one other fruit (usually a peach or nectarine), a healthy glug of lime juice, and some milk. This is a good basic smoothie any day, but it’s all the little “extras” that add a little variety (which is the spice of life, right?).
So, here are some of the things I’ve tried…
- ginger (an inch or so of ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped. It adds a refreshing kick!)
- blueberries (good in a smoothie, but maybe better just fresh on their own, and the skin tends to stick to the side of the blender container)
- raspberries (fine, except that I don’t really care for the seeds in my teeth)
- cucumber (this is probably my most frequent add-in; you can’t taste them, and it’s a vegetable, so it must be good for you, right? If the seeds are small enough, you can just throw chunks, skin and all, in and they get all chopped up.)
- mint (stems and all, it gets chopped up nicely, and adds a refreshing twist)
- avocado (it doesn’t do much to improve the color of the smoothie, but makes it nice and creamy; also a little hard to wash out of the blender)
- iceberg lettuce (my dad always said that it’s like crunchy water, and you add ice cubes to smoothies, so why not? It’s a fine way to use up a little limp lettuce, just not too much or you’ll start to be able to taste it… 😦 )
- green tomatoes (a few got knocked off during a storm, and they’re just little sour fruits, right?)
- squash blossoms (just be sure they’re not harboring any ants!)
- cocoa powder (like I already blogged about here)
That’s all I can think of at the moment. Do you have any favorite smoothie add-ins?