This is a fabulous summer side dish. I love couscous when it’s hot out because it cooks so quickly, and with the zucchini cooked in you’ve got your vegetables taken care of, too. It’s one of those recipes (like carrot soup) that is so tasty that it’s hard to believe the ingredients are so simple.
This was originally the Joy of Cooking’s Couscous with zucchini and cherry tomatoes, but I’ve simplified it a bit (partly by omitting the cherry tomatoes). 🙂
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking couscous
- In a medium sauce pan, heat about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onion.
- Add the garlic and stir in the chicken stock and zucchini.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the zucchini is just tender (3-5 minutes).
- Stir in the couscous and a little more olive oil if you’d like.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes until the water is absorbed.