This recipe basically comes from the All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking. I was looking for a way to cook up some on-sale broccoli in a tasty, winter-friendly sort of way and this recipe sounded great. (In the Joy it is “Orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe” — sounds much fancier that way, doesn’t it? 😉 )
It’s tasty, filling, and easy, and it’s nice because it uses the broccoli stems and not just the florets. It’s a complete meal by itself because in one dish you’ve got some meat, pasta, and vegetables.
- 1 lb. sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil (I didn’t actually measure this; I may have used more; I may have used less…)
- 1 large bunch of broccoli, with the florets cut into pieces and the stems peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb. macaroni or small shell pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the sausage.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Add the olive oil and broccoli pieces to the skillet with the sausage. Stir to mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, partially covered and stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes until broccoli is bright green and just tender.
- Drain the pasta and mix the pasta in with the sausage and broccoli.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste if you need to and enjoy! (Mine was well-seasoned with just the seasonings from the sausage.)