In addition to the little booklet from the Misioneros Salesianos that I’ve been reading through this Advent season, I’ve also got a small leaflet from World Vision with four reflections written by their staff around the world.
Here’s the third one:
Christmas is a celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. When we celebrate our birthdays we do things that will make us happy, but when we celebrate our Lord’s birthday, we do things that gratify us instead of the Person whose birthday we are celebrating.
Unto us a child is born and unto us a Son is given. Having been given that gift we should be giving praises to the One who has given unto us.
by Bonginkosi Malaza, World Vision Swaziland
So, in that spirit, I’d like to list a few of the blessings I have to thank God for lately:
- shopping for Christmas presents on foot
- encouraging visits with good friends
- time away from the office!
- a pile of presents wrapped up under the tree
- singing Christmas carols
- the right words at just the right time
- interesting and challenging work that allows me to use my talents in new ways and hone other skills that I’ve been developing over time
- Christmas cards in the mail from all over
- big plans
- delicious, simple suppers
- creative crafting
- delicious potluck dishes