Just like with the carrot soup recipe, every time I make this I wonder how something so simple can be SO delicious. I was skeptical the first time I made it because it the ingredients themselves don’t sound that fantastic to me, but all together, they make a hearty soup that is very tasty.
This recipe is a modified version of one from The All New Joy of Cooking.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 cups shredded kale (or other greens like Swiss chard or collards)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large soup pot, cook the onion, garlic, and sausage together.
- Add the broth, water, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are done.
- Right in the pot, use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes a bit.
- Stir in the greens and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.