Now that the little tomato plants are in, and I’m looking forward to this year’s garden produce (still so far away, I know!), I had almost forgotten about the lovely canned tomatoes from last year. But, when I was throwing together a vegetable curry, I remembered them sitting there in the cupboard, and was glad to have them to add to the pot!
The ingredients can be varied depending on your taste and what you have on hand, so don’t worry about being exact! 🙂
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 small garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon each mustard seed, cumin, turmeric, and coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1 quart canned tomatoes (with liquid)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, depending on saltiness of canned tomatoes)
- 1-15 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a medium sauce pan, heat about 1/4 cup of olive oil and add the onions, garlic and spices.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium to medium-high heat several minutes until onions are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat until cauliflower and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. If it looks too juicy, take off the lid to let some of the liquid boil off.
- Serve over jasmine or basmati rice.