This is a modified version of a recipe from the VitaMix cookbook my family got years ago. The tangy cranberries are a great contrast to the sweetness of the bread and the lemon undertones add a very nice touch.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour (can be partially whole wheat, if you’d like)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, washed and picked over to remove the icky ones
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the egg, lemon juice, water, shortening, and sugar and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and blend.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350° for about an hour or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.