If you’ve got a source of fresh free basil, this is a great deal. If you don’t, it’s probably prohibitively expensive.
I had the recipe for a decade before I had the basil to make it, but it was worth the wait. The recipe came from someone living far from easy access to traditional pesto ingredients like parmesan cheese and pine nuts, so it offers a creative solution to this dilemma.
- 8 cups fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 cup almonds or walnuts
- 1/4 cup garlic
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor.
- Use immediately or quickly seal in airtight containers and freeze.
A few notes:
- It’s easy to make a much smaller batch of this recipe if you have less than 8 cups of basil.
- You can substitute fresh oregano for the basil. The taste is a bit sharper, but still delicious.